Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Ready to Paint

"Ready to Paint"  (Watercolor)  C. Eastwood, 2012
Ah, watercolor class is back in session, and we've been working on some composition skills (which in my case were so rusty as to be practically non-existent).  The assignment?  Dig around in your purse or watercolor supplies, find some "stuff," and turn it into an interesting composition.  Six thumbnail sketches later (as required), I'd finally found a mix of objects that provided an acceptable composition and it was time to paint.  Of course, once the painting was done, there was a tad too much space on the right and so I ended up (heels dragging the whole way) adding in some paper clips.  And guess what!  The instructor was right (imagine that).  I'm a lot happier with it now and I feel like I've learned some important lessons about positive/negative space, rhythm, balance, and movement.  Not too shabby for a painting about painting!  Hopefully I can translate all that into future work.

No comments:

Post a Comment