Sunday, November 17, 2013

Olive Oil To Be

"Olive Oil To Be"  (Watercolor)  C. Eastwood, 2013
Another painting from my visit to the Dutch Henry Winery in Calistoga, CA.  This time it's of the olives being grown there for production of their own olive oil.  It was rather fascinating to see trees that were bearing olives of so many different colors -- green, black, and those in the process of changing, as these were -- all on the same tree.  I just loved the colors.  I also learned that olives have little tiny spots on them (sort of like freckles) where the green continues to show, even when they're fully black.  Who knew?

As for this painting, the style is a bit different than what I usually do.  I tend to prefer blended edges, especially when shading.  But watercolor often uses hard edges in the various layers of glazes as they are built up.  Somehow that just seemed appropriate to this particular painting.

2 comments:

  1. Your painting is beautiful. Looking at it convinced me that this year I need to take some lessons...thanks for the encouragement you did not even know you were giving. Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Glenda. I love the voice you're already discovering in your own art. Lessons are always fun -- if nothing else you get to paint with friends and that is always inspiring. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete