Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mixed Media Continues

"Unconstrained"  (Mixed Media),  © C. Eastwood, 2012
Here's the latest mixed media portrait in my journal.  I decided to try going a slightly different direction and paint a woman of color just to see if I could since the class didn't address doing anything like that.  At first I thought it was going to be a disaster and I was ready to toss it, but I kept adding layers and finally she started peeking through and the portrait emerged from the page.  I learned a lot.  I'm still kind of slow at this, but since it's not a race, that's okay.  The quote surrounding her is from Walt Whitman:  "Re-examine all you have been told -- dismiss what insults your soul."  That's pretty much what I'm doing with my art -- dismissing that part of the past which was hurtful and making my own reality.  Hope you enjoy this painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment