Thursday, October 10, 2013

Discoveries

"Discoveries"  (Watercolor)  C. Eastwood, 2013
So we're giving abstract painting a shot in class and trying a technique that involves pouring paint and tilting the paper to make it run, blowing on it, spraying it -- basically anything but using a brush to move and direct the paint.  WHAT?!  So after some initial experimenting, I wrote myself a note in resist across the paper as a reminder -- sort of like a secret message -- and went for it.  Surprisingly I kind of like it.  It changed with each new layer and became something quite different.  Definitely not as much control as I'm used to.  But I just kept reading the words as they began to appear and finally arrived at the finish line.  There were definitely a lot of discoveries along the way to this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment